The stock recipe makes more than the soup recipe calls for. Store the remaining stock in small airtight, freezer-safe containers, up to 3 months.
Ingredients:Serves 6 to 8
- 1 whole chicken , halved and cleaned and 6 chicken wings
- 3 carrots , trimmed
- 1 onion , peeled
- 2 leeks , thoroughly rinsed
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 parsnips , trimmed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 whole lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots , peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch coins
- 2 stalks celery , cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 pound egg noodles
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
To make soup: In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook about 10 minutes. Add 6 cups stock. Cook 25 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender.
Meanwhile, pull chicken into shreds from reserved chicken halves; discard skin and bones. Add chicken to stock, along with dill and noodles and cook until noodles are al dente, 8 to 10 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper (the stock is unsalted; it may need more than you think). Serve hot.